THE HABITAT PROGRAM
Habitat is a Christian ministry, dedicated to eliminating sub-standard housing. Since 1986, Habitat for Humanity of St. Joseph County has helped over 170 low-income, hard-working families make their dream of homeownership a reality.
Habitat partners with the entire community to accomplish its mission.
Accepted applicants – Partner Families – must first invest hundreds of hours in educational classes and volunteer labor. Families work alongside volunteers to build their own home and the homes of other partner families.
Families ultimately purchase their home from Habitat – with a zero percent interest loan. Monthly mortgage payments are not only affordable, but fuel the building of other homes in our community.
If you are interested in becoming a Habitat partner family, please plan on attending one of the next informational meetings to get your application!
Monday, August 31st, 4:30-5:30pm @ South Bend Downtown Library (Colfax Auditorium)
Wednesday, Sept. 2nd, Noon-1:00pm @ Mishawaka Downtown Library (Lions Room)
Friday, Sept. 4th, Noon-1:00pm @ South Bend Downtown Library (Colfax Auditorium)
Tuesday, Sept. 8th, 4:30-5:30pm @ Mishawaka Downtown Library (Lions Room)
Thursday, Sept. 10th 6:00-7:00pm @ Mishawaka Downtown Library (Friends Room)
Saturday, Sept. 12th Noon-1pm @ South Bend Downtown Library (Colfax Auditorium)
We currently do not have any future meetings scheduled as our most recent meetings just concluded. Please call our office at 574-288-6967 for more info.
- Ability to Pay
- Need for Housing
- Willingness to Partner
STEPS TO HOMEOWNERSHIP
- An interested family first attends an informational meeting, after which they will be given an application.
- The applicant must then complete and submit the application by the deadline.
- All applications will then be reviewed in order to determine if the family meets the minimum income requirements.
- If so, the family will schedule and attend a financial assessment meeting.
- The family will schedule and attend a housing inspection meeting.
If at any time the applicant fails to comply with the process requirements, they will be deselected from the application process and encouraged to reapply at a later date.
The following table lists the minimum and maximum gross annual income as defined by the 2015 HUD Median Income.
|Family Size||Minimum Annual Income||Maximum Annual Income|
Begin collecting the following documents that will need to be turned in with your application, for both the applicant and co-applicant:
- Last three months of pay stubs for each person earning income
- Last two years of tax returns for each person earning income
- Last two years of W2s for each person earning income
- A WorkOne printout for any person over 18 (Go to WorkOne Office and ask for a “Wage Summary Print-out”)
- Proof of full-time or part-time enrollment for any child in college or a technical institute
- Last two months of bank statements for each applicant
- Payment history letters from each of your utility companies (gas, electric, water, phone, etc.)
- Copies of drivers license or state identification card for each member of household
- Copies of social security card for each member of household
- Divorce decree, if applicable
- Court Order for Child Support or Alimony Income, if applicable
- Print out of at least one year of Received Child Support or Alimony Income, if applicable
- Verification of SSI/Disability for all applicable household members
- Verification of any other form of income, if applicable
- A copy of your lease agreement of home and/or land mortgage, if applicable
- A copy of your section 8 verification, if applicable
Contact us if you’re interested in owning a home in St. Joseph County, Indiana.