THE HABITAT PROGRAM
Habitat is a Christian ministry, dedicated to eliminating sub-standard housing. Since 1986, Habitat has built over 150 homes for low-income, hard-working families in our community.
Habitat finances the building of homes through individual and corporate sponsorship and much of the labor is donated by area volunteers. Qualified families invest hundreds of hours in educational classes, on Habitat worksites, and eventually in the building of their own home.
Families purchase their home at the cost of the materials and at zero percent interest. Monthly mortgage payments are not only affordable, but fuel the building of other homes in our community.
- Ability to pay
- Need for Housing
- Willingness to partner
- An interested family first attends a one hour long informational meeting, after which they will be given an application.
- The applicant must then complete and submit the application by the deadline.
- All applications will then be reviewed in order to determine if the family meets the minimum income requirements.
- If so, the family will schedule and attend a financial assessment meeting.
- The family will schedule and attend a housing inspection meeting.
If at any time the applicant fails to comply with the process requirements, they will be deselected from the application process and encouraged to reapply at a later date.
The following table lists the minimum and maximum gross annual income as defined by the 2013 HUD Median Income.
Minimum Annual Income
Maximum Annual Income
Information Meetings are held the first two weeks of February.
- Monday, July 7, 6:00-7:00pm @ Mishawaka Library-Spencer Gallery
- Wednesday, July 9, 10:30-11:30am @ South Bend Library-Colfax Auditorium
- Friday, July 11, 12:00-1:00pm @ Mishawaka Library-Spencer Gallery
- Saturday, July 12, 9:00-10:00am @ Mishawaka Library-Spencer Gallery
- Tuesday, July 15, 6:00-7:00pm @ South Bend Library-Colfax Auditorium
- Thursday, July 17, 6:00-7:00pm @ Mishawaka Library-Spencer Gallery
- Saturday, July 19, 10:30-11:30am @ South Bend Library-Colfax Auditorium
Begin collecting the following documents that will need to be turned in with your application, for both the applicant and co-applicant:
- Copies of last three months of pay stubs for each applicant
- Copies of the last two years of tax returns & W2s of each applicant
- Copies of the last two months of bank statements of each applicant
- Copies of drivers license or state identification card of each applicant
- Copies of social security card of each applicant
- Divorce decree (if applicable)
- Verification of SSI/Disability for all applicable household members
- Verification of Food Stamps or AFDC/TANF (if applicable)
- Court order for Child Support or Alimony income (if applicable)
Contact us if you’re interested in owning a home in St. Joseph County, Indiana.